Welcome to the module ‘Food Security Risks‘ of Towards Zero Hunger.
Here, you have the opportunity to explore the factors that pose risks to food security and discover EO solutions for assessing and effectively managing them.
This module is part of a series of online learning materials.
Towards Zero Hunger will give you insights into the potential of remote sensing technologies to support the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 2: Zero Hunger.
What will you learn?
Understanding food security risks and Earth Observation (EO) solutions is essential for ensuring food security. Key questions directing the use of EO data and technologies to address these risks and promote SDG 2 Zero Hunger include: What are the risk factors, and how do they impact food security? In what ways can EO technology be harnessed to monitor, predict, and respond to these food security risks?
In this module, we delve into critical global food security issues, providing a comprehensive understanding of various risk factors that pose threats, such as floods, droughts, wildfires, pandemics, pests and diseases, as well as conflicts. Additionally, we explore EO solutions to monitor, predict, and respond to these food security risks.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the diverse risk factors that threaten food security
- Explore the principles underlying disaster risk assessment and management
- Acquire knowledge on how EO can be effectively utilized to monitor, predict, and respond to food security risks
Choose your own learning pace.
Depending on your existing knowledge, it will take 4-5 hours to complete.
For which SDG 2 targets is this module relevant?
Earth observation can contribute to reach the goal Zero Hunger, particularly through targets 2.3, 2.4 and 2.C and indicator 2.4.1.
This module is relevant to all of these targets and indicators.
For which food production practices is this module relevant?
Towards Zero Hunger Modules
If you want to find out more about EO and different production systems, approaches, or applications, you can choose from the courses below.
This module was created with the help of learning materials that were kindly provided by:
- EO College: Land in Focus – Hazards & Disasters
- EO College: Echoes In Space
- NASA Applied Remote Sensing Training Program (ARSET): McCullum, A.; Mehta, A.; Schmidt, C. (2017). Remote Sensing of Drought. NASA Applied Remote Sensing Training Program (ARSET).
- NASA Applied Remote Sensing Training Program (ARSET): Mehta, A.; Podest, E. (2018). Satellite Remote Sensing of Flood Monitoring and Management.